We are excited to announce that our 2019 GYLI training will take place at Lake Forest Academy from April 11-13, 2019.
Community Building In and Out of the Classroom.
- Current research on Social-Emotional Learning and how it connects to global education.
- Immersion into GYLI’s 4 Pillars: Collaborative Leadership, Religious Pluralism, Multi-Cultural Identity, and Environmental Sustainability.
- Activities, resources, and methods to teach and foster inclusivity in our schools and communities.
- Risk management for GYLI and other global travel programs
Keynote Speaker: Kristoffer Barikmo
Friday April 12: 1-3pm Little Theater: Community Building In and Out of the Classroom
Kristoffer Barikmo is a National Board Certified Social Studies teacher and Instructional Coach at Shawnee Mission East High School. Serving on the Kansas Teacher of theYear team as a finalist in 2016 took him across the state as a resource for teachers. He has taught at nationally recognized public and private high schools in Denver and Kansas City. As a leadership program facilitator, teacher, and civic educator, Kristoffer has lead several programs for GYLI and retreats for other organizations. Kristoffer is a published author and recognized presenter on civic education, global citizenship, global problems, and transformative education. His presentations include work with public and private schools, sessions at the KS Exemplary Educators Network Annual Conference, International Conference of Experiential Educators, and ISACS.
Who Should attend:
- GYLI coordinators and staff
- GYLI administrators and teachers in schools
- GYLI participating teachers who will travel to programs in 2019
Hotel: Indigo Chicago – Vernon Hills
450 N Milwaukee Ave, Vernon Hills, IL 60061 / (847) 918-1400
GYLI National Training Schedule
Thursday April 11
- 9:00 am -4:00p GYLI Coordinator training
- 6pm Teachers, School Contacts, Administrators Dinner and evening events at LFA
- 9pm Return shuttles to the Indigo Hotel
Friday April 12
- 8:30am: Warm ups and setting the tone for Community in our classroom
- 10am-12pm Institute specific meetings
- 1pm-3pm Keynote Talk: Kristtoffer Barikmo
- 3pm-4pm Debrief and reflection
- 4pm-6pm break
- 6:30pm-9:30pm community building and fun at Pinstripes Bowling and Boccce
Saturday April 13
- 9am Mindfullness, meditation and yoga at the LFA dance studio
- 10am Community building outside the classroom at your school
- 12:30pm closing activities to draw groups together and transfer learning to new contexts
- 1:30 pm Shuttles to O’hare Airport