GYLI National Training is Cancelled due to Covid 19
Tentative 2021 Date: April 8-10, 2021
The current global response to COVID-19 calls for engagement through social-distancing.
We made the responsible, but difficult decision to cancel our National Training.
GYLI will continue to monitor the situation and will revisit our 2020 summer institutes in mid-May.
Our coordinators, faculty and students are our strength – and with ingenuity, creativity, empathy, and fun – we will continue growing the GYLI Vision.
2020 Theme: Connected Learning through Global Stories
- Current research on Social-Emotional Learning and how it connects to global education.
- Immersion into GYLI’s 4 Pillars: Collaborative Leadership, Religious Pluralism, Multi-Cultural Identity, and Environmental Sustainability.
- Activities, resources, and methods to teach and foster inclusivity in our schools and communities.
- Risk management for GYLI and other global travel programs
Keynote Speaker: Christian Starling, School for Ethics and Global Leadership (SCGL), Washington DC
Christian Starling Christian Starling is Academic Dean and English teacher at The School for Ethics ant Global Leadership (SCGL) in Washington DC. Christian is a graduate of Harvard University, where he earned a degree in Social Anthropology and a secondary certification in Visual and Environmental Studies. At Harvard, he spent most of his time focused on social justice work, in both volunteer and full-time employment positions year-round. He divided up his time as a director, elected officer, and student trustee at the Phillips Brooks House Association (PBHA), the nation’s largest student-run social justice and non-profit organization. Additionally, he worked as a recruitment intern for the Boston-based non-profit Artists for Humanity. In his recent tenure as a Citizen Schools National Teaching Fellow, he was leader of his campus’s Eighth Grade Academy and college and career prep curriculum lead in Charlotte, North Carolina. Christian grew up in Detroit, Michigan, where he served as Student Council President at the University Liggett School and was a Skillman Scholar.
Christian was a Year 1 student in GYLI in 2003, and then worked as a coordinator and speaker for GYLI in Connecticut, Washington DC and Chicago.
Who Should attend:
- GYLI coordinators and staff
- Administrators and teachers in GYLI schools or prospective schools
- GYLI participating teachers who will travel to programs in 2020
- Program partners and invited guests
Hotel: Indigo Chicago – Vernon Hills
450 N Milwaukee Ave, Vernon Hills, IL 60061
GYLI National Training Schedule:
Thursday, June 4:
- 9:00 am -4:00p GYLI Staff and Coordinator training
- 6pm Teachers, School Contacts, Administrators Dinner and evening session at LFA: the power of Story Exchange
- 9pm Return shuttles to the Indigo Hotel
Friday, June 5:
- 8:30am: Warm-ups / Icebreakers and opening activities
- 10am-12pm Institute specific meetings
- 1pm-3pm Keynote: Connecting Learning through Global Stories
- 3pm-4pm Debrief and reflection
- 4pm-6pm break
- 6:30pm-9:30pm community building and fun at Pinstripes Bowling and Bocce
Saturday, June 6:
- 9am Mindfulness, Meditation, and Yoga
- 10:30am Community building through Circle Conversations
- 12:30pm closing activities to draw groups together and transfer learning to new contexts
- 1:30 pm Shuttles to O’hare Airport